Could not find your medication ? Call us!
Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) is a condition in which stomach acid flows back into the esophagus more frequently than normal. The acid reflux can irritate the esophagus lining. Experiencing GERD once in a blue moon is relatively common. In fact, GERD can occur at least twice weekly as slight acid reflux. If GERD cannot be managed by diet and lifestyle changes, some individuals may need stronger GERD medication or surgery to relieve symptoms.
What Causes GERD?
GERD occurs from consistent acid reflux. You’ll experience a frequent backwash of stomach acid irritating and inflaming the esophagus lining. The factors that can increase your likelihood of developing GERD include:
- Stomach bulge into the diaphragm
- Eating late at night or eating large meals
- Eating fatty or fried foods
- Specific medications
- Drinking alcohol or coffee
It’s highly likely that you’ll be advised to first modify your lifestyle and take medications to relieve GERD symptoms. However, if you do not experience any relief, you may be recommended the following treatment solutions:
- Antacids: Antacids that can neutralize stomach acids, such as Mylanta or Rolaids, may provide temporary relief.
- H-2 prescription receptor blockers: Prescription-strength medications, such as famotidine, nizatidine or ranitidine, can be an effective GERD solution.
- Proton Pump Inhibitors (PPIs): These are the most potent inhibitors of acid secretion and are commonly prescribed for GERD treatment. PPIs include medications such as omeprazole, pantoprazole, esomeprazole, and more.
Medication that strengthens the esophageal sphincter: Medications, such as Baclofen, can ease GERD symptoms by reducing the frequency of how often the lower esophageal sphincter relaxes.
Some of you may have been loyal customers of a Canadian online pharmacy that closed last year. If so, you are likely looking for another Canadian provider you can trust to get your prescriptions filled. When CanadaDrugs.com shut down thousands of patients were left wondering where to safely order prescription medications online. This is the very reason why we created CanadaOnlineHealth.ca – to help you and to give you a trustworthy, safe place to order your medication online.
You may think that you’re doing yourself a favor by keeping your medicine on your bathroom counter so you don’t forget to take it, but is having it in a steamy room after you shower actually harming your medication? Whether you are taking vitamins, such as Vitamin D, over-the-counter medication, or prescription medication, how you store them is important.