The eyes are one of the few entry points to the body and can often be taken for granted. The risk of developing eye health conditions increases with age. However, there are additional factors that can also increase the odds of you experiencing problems with vision in the future. Many do not even realize that they are experiencing vision problems at all, which is why it’s so important to schedule eye exams with your eye doctor regularly. Eye exams check the health of the retina, optic nerve, as well as the eye pressure and much more.
Treatment for Eye Disease
Eye doctors often treat certain eye conditions, such as refractive errors with eyeglasses or contact lenses. However, some other eye diseases can be treated with medications or surgery. The most effective way to protect your vision is with regular screenings, including eye exams. When eye conditions are detected in their earliest stages, it’s possible to prevent vision loss from worsening. Here are some examples of common eye disease treatments:
- Refractive Surgery: A type of procedure that helps to correct refractive efforts, such as astigmatism and nearsightedness.
- Corneal Transplantation: This type of treatment is designed to replace either the entire damaged cornea or only part of it.
- Oral Steroids: A type of medications that can be used to treat inflammatory eye diseases, such as uveitis or more serious inflammation conditions of the uvea, which is the eye’s middle layer.
Most Common Eye Conditions and Problems
The most common eye conditions in North America are considered refractive errors, such as myopia (nearsightedness), hyperopia (farsightedness) and astigmatisms (blurry vision). Some of the eye issues you can develop include:
- Refractive errors
- Optic neuritis, which is an inflammation of the eye’s optic nerve
- Retinal diseases, including retinal tear or detachment
- Macular degeneration
- Diabetic eye conditions, such as diabetic retinopathy
It’s important to always have the prescribed treatment for your eye health on hand. Canada Online Health ensures our clients have their prescriptions on time when they need it. Register with our safe and affordable prescription referral service online today.