Prescription Products > Anxiety
Anxiety is a natural response to stressful situations at work, school, or before making an important decision. When feelings of anxiety are extreme and go on for a long period of time, then you may have an anxiety disorder.
What Are the Types of Anxiety Disorders?
Anxiety is a sign of several disorders. These include:
- Panic Disorder: When you experience recurring panic attacks at random times.
- Separation Anxiety: When you have a fear of being away from home or loved ones.
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder: Intense feelings of anxiety following an emotional/physical traumatic event.
- Social Anxiety Disorder: When you fear being negatively judged by others in social situations.
What Does It Look Like?
Anxiety manifests itself through our thoughts, body sensations, and actions.
- Thought: “Something bad is going to happen to me.” anxious thought appears when you think that something bad is going to happen to you or your loved ones.
- Body: Shortness of breath, Shakiness you can feel anxiety in your body. You may feel like you can’t breathe, your heart is beating faster, and you are hot and sweaty.
- Actions: Freezing, running away when you feel anxious, you may feel threatened, so you take action to protect yourself. You may run away or avoid a situation or freeze up and have a hard time reacting.
Cause of Anxiety
Researchers have not been able to find a single cause of anxiety. It is tied to a combination of things such as changes in the brain, environmental stress and genes.
Notice: The above information is an educational aid only. Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.